Mumbai: The medical education department on Tuesday directed Maharashtra Medical Council (MMC) administrator to suspend the registration of homoeopaths until there is a final court order in the matter. The decision came in the aftermath of the “strike by the Indian Medical Association (IMA) and Maharashtra Association of Resident Doctors (MARD), and its impact on healthcare services”.Interestingly, the directions were issued on the very day that homoeopathic associations held a mass protest at Azad Maidan demanding the resumption of MMC registrations. “It would be appropriate to issue the certificate after the situation resolves (until the standard operating procedure is finalised or until the final decision of the Hon’ble Court is received),” states a letter by the govt addressed to MMC.The homoeopaths had also reached the doorsteps of MMC, where, despite police arrangements, they managed to storm inside the registrar’s cabin. Videos circulated by AYUSH associations themselves show their members aggressively shouting at MMC registrar Dr Rakesh Waghmare and demanding immediate registration certificates.MMC administrator Dr Vinky Rughwani condemned the behaviour and said, “The manner in which they came into our offices is unacceptable. We are following govt directions as they are issued.”A Govt Resolution (GR) issued earlier this month had ordered MMC to start registrations for homoeopaths who have completed a one-year certificate course in pharmacology, which was to effectively allow them to prescribe modern allopathic medicines. This resulted in a backlash from the medical community, which called a statewide doctors’ strike because the move would severely risk patient safety.MMC had provided a registration certificate to one Mankhurd-based homoeopath and then stopped due to a technical error. The govt’s directions now put an official pause on further registrations. Meanwhile, a committee has been formed to frame SOPs in the event of medical negligence by a homoeopath.Dr Waghmare said the report of this is expected by early September, though the report could be rendered null and void if Bombay High Court issues an order in favour of the medical community this month.MARD had spearheaded the strike at govt hospitals. Its president, Dr Atharva Shinde, said in a statement that they will “continue to closely monitor the matter until there is a final judicial decision and clear, legally sustainable policies are implemented”.He added that their primary concern continues to be patient safety, quality medical care, and the protection of professional standards. Till press time, homoeopaths were attempting to schedule a meeting with medical education minister Hasan Mushrif.
